16 March 2010

More Boring Stuff and a Personal Nightmare

14-16 Mar 2010--So even though Ellen is bored with my maintenance updates, I will tell you quickly that Sunday we had to work on the awning over our front door. While I worked the remote control, Cathy ascertained that we needed to oil the joints on the arms,, and we also had to tighten the screws that were holding it to the RV. So for those of you who were wondering what my job was, now we all know! I was exhausted by the time we were through! haha


When we were finishing working on the awning, this woman, Kathy, came by to talk to us about being in the military. She had stopped to talk to me Friday night when I was standing outside with the dogs, asking me if she could stop by over the weekend because she had heard we were TIs in the military and she was really interested in that.
So Sunday she caught us outside...sat down for about an hour before we could get rid of her. She knocked on our door again Monday evening to ask a question she had forgotten about before. I feel like she is stalking us!
A guy pulled in the park the other day and put up this banner. Can you believe how big it is? It is taller than his RV. Do you think he is proud? A little gaudy to me!



And now for my nightmare today. I am showing this cart and cooler because it played a significant part in my drama. I was working at USAA again, selling my sunglasses, so when I was leaving I packed up my cart and cooler and headed for the escalator. Getting on the escalator, I placed the cart/cooler on the step in front of me, and advanced down one flight without incident---almost! When I got near the bottom I sort of kicked the bottom of the cart forward, intending to get it up on the rollers to exit the escalator.
Not quite! Instead, somehow I lost my balance, fell backwards flat on my ass while tipping the cart/cooler over towards my feet, and proceeded to flail away trying to push the cart off the escalator with my feet, while at the same time trying to put my hands behind me to help get myself up off the ever-descending stairs.
All the while I am continuously advancing towards the end of the escalator, can't stand up because I couldn't grip the stairs that kept folding flat behind me, and I am pushing backwards with me feet because I am afraid that I will lose my toes or a leg if I get caught at the end of the escalator!!!
After what seemed to be 10 minutes but was probably closer to 10 seconds, 2 young women came running over to help me, grabbed the cart and cooler out of the way, allowing me to finally grab the handrails above me, hoisting me to safety and the end of the escalator.
This may not seem like a big deal, but let me tell you...it was! I was shaking I was so scared. I almost even started crying once I got off, but I was able to pull myself together until I got home. haha Really, I couldn't believe how scared I was, and how unable I was to get back on my feet. I know that if I had been 20 yrs old I would have been able to get up right away and laugh it all off. But at 54, I was incapable of even saving myself...getting old sucks!!! And I think I will have a fear of escalators in the future!

12 comments:

  1. Paula, Thank you for the escalator story!
    I have tears in my eyes! The vision of you flailing away will keep me smiling all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG....glad you are okay, however it made for a very funny story!!! Luv ya! :_)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie and Lynn, if you could have seen me, you would be laughing even harder. Cathy asked me if I was embarrassed when I finally got up, so she didn't quite "get it"! I wasn't embarrassed...that's what I would have been at 20. At 54, I was just thankful that someone came to my aid! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you again, Paula. Just started laughing all over again. As to being embarrassed, I would have feigned unconsciousness. Nobody laughs at a person who appears seriously hurt.
    As to being thankful, You should also be thankful I wasn't with you. I'd would have laughed so hard, a crowd would have drawn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was absolutely the best story I have ever read. You should seriously think about a new career and publish a book!!! But, I really am glad you were able to keep all your toes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would laugh so hard I would have pee'd my pants had I been there! I too am laughing again!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, I couldn't feign unconciousness or I would have gotten caught at the end of the escalator, putting my toes in jeopardy!

    And Brenda, that may be a good idea...then I wouldn't have to leave the house anymore, remaining safe to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What did that lady want anyways? besides being nosey:-) Did she want to join the Air Force...ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know what her motive was, except maybe she is just lonely. If it wasn't that, she is just a wierdo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. next time obey the rules. noooo carts or strollers on the escalators. some people just can't read. I'm glad you didn' get hurt. I've seen people put their babies in strollers on there also. just not right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. laughing also but totally understand the panic!!!! When Jen was a toddler her foot got stuck in the side of the escalator and it actually stopped it. Wayne was with her at Sears. The mgr came over and acknowledged it but we didn't get so much as a new pair of sneakers and hers were ruined. Wayne was so upset he couldn't even think straight. He just wanted to get out of there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eleanor, there was no posting about carts/strollers...maybe I should sue! haha

    Marie, with Jen's sneaker ruined, she was really lucky the foot wasn't mangled. I can totally understand Wayn's panic...I was shaking once I got off it.

    ReplyDelete