04 July 2010

It's A Parade!

4 Jul 2010--Happy 4th of July to everyone. Here in Cody, WY they have 2 parades to celebrate the 4th...yesterday and today, so we went yesterday. We left about 8:30 AM to head into town...here are a few pictures along the way. I am running out of words already to describe how beautiful I think this area is.



We were pretty close to the start of the parade...up on the roof here is the Mistress of Ceremonies. I think she knew everyone in the parade, and it was a good one, going on for almost an hour and a half.

Future cowpokes.



A parade is a parade, so I tried to take pictures and videos of entrants we are not used to seeing...except of course, here are the Marines out front. There are some videos at the end of the blog...I think you'll like them.


Here we have the Cowboy Chapter of Korean War Vets, followed by a little girl who has cancer and was given a white pony by the Make a Wish Foundation. Notice the horse has a unicorn horn on its head.


A raft of animals, and actual, real lawmen in the area.
A lady riding side-saddle, and look at the horses painted red, white and blue.


When we were leaving, we drove up a hill that looked down on the city. Don't these pics look more like paintings than photos?

We have seen a ton of these rental RVs in our travels. When we were in Mesa Verde National Park we talked to a couple from Belgium who rented from cruiseamerica.com. So I was thinking that if they can come all the way from Belgium, everyone reading this should look into renting an RV next summer so we can have a caravan...what do you think??? Any takers???
We went out to eat last night, and when we were leaving I wanted to take some pics of the sunset, but 1st ran into these elk on the side of the road. We saw the 1st 2 off to the right, and then noticed the group of mothers and babies on the left side. They were close enough to hear my voice making a video, which you will see later in the blog.


Cathy gives me a hard time every time I tell her to pull over to take pics like these, but I tell her she has no soul and insist she to do it anyway...haha! How can you see scenes like this and not marvel at their beauty?



Here are the videos...all except the last one are from the parade, and the last one is of the elk.

I found this interesting. Maybe this happens everywhere in the country and I wasn't aware of it, but the people here start their parade with the Pledge of Allegiance.

I have never seen pack mules in any parade I have ever been to!!!



They not only had Ms Rodeo Wyoming, but here is Ms Rodeo America.

They had several marching bands that brought me back to my days in the Jays-Jays, but we weren't playing this song.

So much of this parade revolved around horses, so here are some of them. I am sure the kids will love seeing these.

The saloon girls were very popular!

I didn't mean to scare them, but I loved seeing them run.

Going to the rodeo tonight before the fireworks...hope everyone has a great day!!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm in I'll be a part of the moving to see the usa
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mia, we are doing the east coast next summer...can you join us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I rent an RV what will we be seeing? If we all join you on the road who will read the Blog?
    Great pics. The scenery is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good point Marie...I didn't think of that!!! haha But it is still better to see it for yourself than just to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing everyone in cowboy hats and vests like its the old west!

    those scenery pictures are breath taking!

    ~kristine

    ReplyDelete