22 August 2009

The Eagle Has Landed

Saturday, 23 August...Drove the last few hundred miles into the Boston area today. Stopped in New Jersey for gas...did you know that in the state of New Jersey you can't pump your own gas? I hadn't had anyone pump gas for me in 30 years, so we almost didn't know what to do. Christopher told Cathy to make sure the guy atually worked there and wasn't just a bum trying to get a few dollars tip! haha

We got into the RV camp (in the military they are called Famcamps) at Hanscom AFB around 5 o'clock. (I am taking note that the Air Force camp seems to be a lot cleaner and neater than the civilian camps we stayed at on the way here...so I don't know if we just found some really grungy places, or this is the rule on the road...I'll let you know.) Marie and her kids and grandkids, and Ellen and a couple of her kids, came up to visit...we took pictures but Chris left with them and the pictures are on his camera so I don't have any to post. Little Jack (he's about 2) totally loved the RV....he loves big, loud trucks, so he especially loved it when Cathy blew the air horn. It was fun watching him.

We are leaving for Maine in the morning. My sister Ellen belongs to Outdoor World and got us a place to stay up there somewhere near Moody Beach. Ellen says it is only a few minutes from the ocean and I think it is only about a 1/2 hour from Brian's cottage. We will spend 2 weeks up there before returning here to Hanscom for another 2 weeks. Can't wait to see everbody!

6 comments:

  1. I use to tip the guys when we lived in Jersey. At least until I understood they weren't just being nice.
    We miss you guys in SA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher took off as soon as he got home? GET the pictures back. Hope the dogs have got the hang of it now. Have fun and relax a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe ya'll can slow down and relax a little now and begin to enjoy the ride and learn a bit more about the GPX. just be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just finished reading your blog, Cracking up laughing I might add :-). One tip is you might want to look in the road atlas for roads to travel on in your rig and/or buy a truckers guide at a truck stop for safe roads to take with your rig.
    Also, you always take a chance when just pulling in to a park, you were right about military bases are the most cleanest and safest parks. Not, to discount other parks, just be prepared to pay $$$ for the niceties!
    Keep the blog going...it's fun to read about your travels. When you can, make sure you stay at the Eglin AFB famcamp. We did this summer and had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am know a follower! I am the follower with no name, just redsoxdh34!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paula - I will get the pictures off my mothers camera and email them to you!

    Jack and the girls loved it - emily still wants to know when she can go for a ride!!

    ReplyDelete