08 April 2010

Bo Derek Returns!

You will understand the title to this blog when you see the short video at the end.

Last night we were hit with gale force winds...kept us awake 1/2 the night, and even when we got up this morning it was still blowing pretty good. here are some pictures of the waves hitting the sea wall where we were riding our bikes yesterday.



As we were driving out of the RV Park, we saw this lady walking the 5 dogs. She reminded me of the Dog Whisperer, so I took her picture.



After we went to the gym and walked the dogs we headed out to Mustang Island. We went the wrong way, so what should have taken about a half hour ended up taking over an hour, but it is not like we had anything else to do, so it was no big deal.



We went to the beach area where they are having the Sand Fest over the next three days. We heard that they were setting up, and seeing as we didn't know where it was, we thought we'd check it out for tomorrow.
There was already quite a bit of activity on the beach. They had a couple bulldozers gathering piles of sand, and a water truck going along filling big buckets of water for the competition, at the same time that they had several "sand artists" getting a jump on getting their sand displays started.


This lady was packing her wet sand in the tube, and then stacking them to get started on hers.



Here are a few in varying stages of completion...the guy in the 1st picture is actually someone who will be giving classes to kids tomorrow to show them how to do it.


These pictures are of a huge mound of sand with several people working on different things. I think they are mostly putting on names and pictures of sponsors for the big event. I asked the teacher how they got the sculptures to stay in place over a period of days, and he said that when they were through, they sprayed them with a mixture of Elmer's glue and water, as you can see the guy in the last picture doing.



All along the length of the beach they have over 100 vendors also setting up, and as luck would have it we actually ran into a woman we used to work with occassionally at the base in San Antonio. She sells these little glass jars of sand art that she makes herself, so I am sure she does quite well at this event.




The beach here is really beautiful...like NH or Mass, but the water is a lot warmer. I know Marie would absolutely love it here!


The title of this video is "Bo Derek & Me!" It is only 11 seconds, so you HAVE to watch it!

10 comments:

  1. I had to be the first. I am in Love with Bo, the hair, the run and the body, oh the body. Paula you are one big nut case, Donna and I had a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sand castles are amazing.
    I'm bummed! I couldn't open the video

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to open the video after all.
    I was half way through when I realized it wasn't actually Bo! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too Funny! You are a riot!!! HA HA HA

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sand castle are cool! Remember Paula the guy is going to teach the KIDS not the adults that are young at heart!
    Watch the video three times, best laugh I have had in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sand castles are amazing! Love the water. Feeling tortured not being able to swim. Loved the video. That is the kind of thing I do to amuse my grandchildren. I think I am funny and they think I am crazy/weird but love me in spite of it!!!!!!!!! Glad you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie, Cathy also thinks I am a little weird, to be honest she is a probably a little embarrassed by me sometimes! haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paula you and Cathy did it again. The surf=in the waves is another good laugh. Paula you need to go on TV.

    Peace and Love great years of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Paula
    The beach looks beautiful....am very jealous.....and the video was laugh out loud funny.
    Thanks for posting it.
    Fifi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't mean the video to be funny...I really thought everyone would see the comparison between me and Bo positively!

    ReplyDelete