26 October 2009

From Spy to North Carolina

26 Oct 09—I have been waiting since we were on the train home 3 days ago to get a response to the post about having to kill you…I can’t believe that Ellen had to threaten everyone for me to just get a response! Haha

Back on Friday we went to the Spy Museum…a lot of fun. They had stuff from as far back as the 1500s…like where was the 1st known government-sponsored spy organization established??? (In England, for Elizabeth I.) And one of the coolest things was a display from some guy in the 1500s…he developed an invisible ink that he used on eggs. He would write on the shell of an egg and you couldn’t see it, but when you cracked the egg, you could then see what he wrote on the egg itself. Pretty good for 500 years ago, huh?

They had everything there from the poisoned pens to the deadly umbrella to the camera hidden in the coat button and everything in between…everything we have seen in the movies over our lifetimes, and more. They had a good-sized section on women who were spies…there was Julie Child again, and Marlena Dietrich, and Josephine Baker. They had another section on famous spies like Aldrich Ames and the Rosenbergs. Of course there was a section on The House Un-American Activities panels in the US Senate. Anything you could think of was there.

They had 3 or 4 different tours you could pay for. We did the regular tour, but 2 others would have been the “Daytime or Nighttime I am a Spy” tours where they have you search throughout the city for things like dead drops and clues, etc. I think those would be really fun if I had a ten year old, but at 54 I am sure I would grow a little bored before the spy search was over.

We couldn’t take any pictures in the museum, and since it was all about spying I figured they had hidden cameras, so I followed the rules on this one.

Saturday we hung around the RV most of the day. We were waiting till later in the afternoon to go into the city, so we could see DC at night. That was the plan anyway. As we went downtown the skies opened up, and Boy, oh boy did it rain. We hoped it would pass, so we went into the American Indian Museum….big disappointment to me. I was expecting to see teepees and stuff…not a single one. Haha It was actually an in-depth look at 8 different tribes…but not all of them were from the US. Some were from the Carribean, others from South America…so not the Indians I was expecting. To top it off, the few pictures I did take were taken hostage by the disk in my camera that locked up…so they were lost. The day was a big bust!!!

We didn’t do anything Sunday except read the newspaper, watch some football, and pack up a few things getting ready to leave Monday morning for North Carolina.

So here we are on Monday…left DC, traveled thru Virginia and into North Carolina. Fayetteville, NC to be exact. We are at the Famcamp for the Army’s Ft Bragg…got here at just about dusk, so we haven’t been able to look around at all. We did see some cabins right where the RVs are parked, so I think they have them so you can have family, friends here and they can stay in the cabins. This place is like the place in Massachussetts, in that it is not on the base…I don’t know how far away the base is, will check it out tomorrow.

The ride here was uneventful, except for some beautiful foliage, especially in Virginia. The Famcamp here looks to be pretty “rural”….I feel very much in the woods, but hopefully the light of day will give me a better feeling. Haha Only staying 2 days before heading to South Carolina for a week, so it won’t be that bad.

6 comments:

  1. No-I'm not slacking off at work ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on Paula, no pictures, boring day?
    What are you trying to lose your followers on purpose? Make stuff up if you have to!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im with Ellen on this......we want pictures!!!!!! The spy museum sounds like it was fun. I never did that one when I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fifi,
    What do you mean you lived here??? When??
    And everyone needs to keep in mind that not everyday is going to be like Christmas visually...I have now left DC so you ave to tamp down your expectations. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I've read your comments for the day and I love the old cabin but need more pictures: maybe dogs, animal outside or
    Cathy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha...how many times can you look at Fluffy and Jabba? And Cathy hasn't changed since we left Texas either.

    ReplyDelete