27 October 2009

Just a Quickie!

27 Oct 09--So I checked my blog for comments before I started typing, and I see that both Ellen and Fifi are pressuring me for pictures. Remember, not every day is Christmas…now that I am out of DC I will do the best I can, but there will be days, like today, that I have limited opportunities to knock your socks off. Haha

We drove to the base today, had to do some errands…commissary, post office, etc., and we were astounded by how big the base is. (I know you are all on the edge of your seats now—haha). In all honesty, I really believe that this base is bigger than Southie…I read that it is the largest Army installation by population in the country; it has approximately 43,000 military and 8000 civilians living here, and it is the home of the Green Berets and the 82nd Airborne Division. They do over 100,000 parachute jumps a year here. And they say the base supports more than 250,000 soldiers, civilians, family members, and retirees. We were driving on 2 and 3 lane highways on the base…pretty surprising.



The weather is pretty crappy though, so we didn’t do anything today except ride around and try to get info for a future visit to this area. As I said yesterday, the Famcamp is off base, about 3 miles away from the base, and is very much like what Outdoor World was in Maine when we stayed there. Very woodsie.



The only difference is that it is not anywhere near as crowded, as a matter of fact there are only 9 RV spots on the level I am at...maybe another dozen down below.



There is a big lake with a small beach where you can rent canoes and paddle boats, and you can even go hunting and fishing here. I don’t really know what you would hunt, but it does make me nervous to think what may be stalking me as I take the dogs out at night to pee. Haha


They have cabins here for rent...this one holds 10-12 people, has a kitchen and bathroom, too. Others are smaller, holding 4-6 people. I figure when we come back sometime in the summer, anyone who would like to join us for some hunting and fishing and canoeing can let us know and we will secure it. How does that sound?

On our way to Charlston SC tomorrow…we’ll be there a week…hopefully more exciting stuff there.

No comments:

Post a Comment