23 January 2010

High Cotton!

23 Jan 10--On the road again today. Left Tallahassee and the Big Oak RV park...took these final pictures just to show you this tree...look at it closely, it just may be the best Oak tree I have seen yet. Look how the branches go out and then down to the ground...I would have loved this tree as a kid!



I think I told you how we set up a 2-filter system for our water, but just this past week we made this holder/insulator for them. That is styrofoam we taped together, cut holes in, and then wrapped in packing tape to try to keep it water-proof...at least it keeps the filters standing and makes things look neat on the side of the RV. Actually, Cathy did it so I just wanted to show you how crafty she is! haha
So we headed down the road, ultimately heading back to San Antono for a little while, but stopped overnight in Robertsdale, Alabama at the Hilltop RV Park.
The lady signing us in told us that as it was Saturday night, they had a band coming in to play from 7-9 PM in the game room of the RV park. She said it was $5 admission for those of us staying at the park, and more for anyone coming in from outside. When we went outside and saw the size of the building the game room was in, I just had to go see inside, and took these pictures...the band was actually warming up when I went in there. As you can see, the room held about 8 rows of chairs, 6 across, with a little room on the side to go from the front to back of the room. I couldn't wait for 7PM to come around!!!
Cathy did not see the potential humor in this story that I did, so she stayed at the RV as I took my $5 and headed for the game room. I first had to get past security...there was actually an old guy at the door with a ball cap saying "security" on it...then I got my ticket, a button promoting the David Stacey fan club (he was the leader of the band), and quickly took my seat. I noticed a sign on the wall listing refreshments...and notice at the bottom it talks about the Hilltop "Opry"!
The band, called "High Cotton", played from 7-9PM with one intermission...there was a raffle and a magician that I missed because I walked back to the RV to see what Cathy was doing. But as you can see the place was packed and a fun night was had by all. I counted the people, and from what I could see there were 34 paying customers, 2 women taking the cover charge and passing out the raffle tickets, and 2 little girls....one of whom was the niece of one of the guys in the band.
I mentioned the little girl (3 yrs old), because right near the end of the 1st set she ran up to the band and jumped in the arms of the lady singer...who was about t sing a song that required yodeling!!! The little girl was trying to yodel with her, and that was adorable!
It seemed like most of the people in the room knew each other...a lady told me that 19 people were from the park and everyone else from the local community...I sat beside a guy who said he lived about an hour away!!! So he drove all that way and also had to pay more than $5!!! haha
I told Cathy all this and she still didn't think it was as funny as I did...makes you go "Hmmmm"!!!

4 comments:

  1. so what songs did they sing anything you knew? Did ya'll sing along? Did you get the TV's working? Stay dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First as I was reading about "you" doing the styrofoam thing, I said this is Cathy doing it.
    Then you confirmed it in your writings. haha
    I should have been born down south, I would love that kind of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM so glad that you have met Bubba and the rest of the family

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually knew a couple of the songs, and tho I still think it is a funny that this was the high point of their week, I did enjoy it a little...sort of a homey feel! And as Hallie intimates, more than a few of them were related! HAHA

    ReplyDelete