28 November 2009

Shootout at the OK Corral!

28 Nov 09--We took a drive up to see Cathy's aunt Mavis and uncle Robert today. They live about an hour's drive from Tallahassee, in Donalsonville, Georgia. As I told you before, they both have farms up there, about 250 acres between them. All their fields are awaiting planting, so there was nothing for me to take pictures of, like corn or whatever. Here is Mavis with Cathy. And then Mavis, Robert, Chelsey, Eleanor, Cathy and Brenda in Mavis' house.
Interestingly, Cathy's mother's maiden name is Faircloth, and both Robert and Mavis (her brother and sister) live on Faircloth Rd. Robert lives off one side, and about 50 yards down the road lives Mavis on the other side. It's sort of cool to live on a road named after you, huh?
This is a cotton field being picked. This farm is right behind Robert's house and belongs to Mavis' daughter and son-in-law.

Robert has always liked me (haha), so he let me take some pictures on his farm equipment.

So what we really came to do here, aside from visit with Mavis and Robert, was to shoot some skeet out in Robert's fields. So Eleanor stayed back at the house with Mavis and Robert let us shoot his 12 and 20 gauge shotguns, and then we shot his .22 revolver and Cathy's .38 Special! This was a blast!!
Cathy and Robert did all the loading of the shells and bullets, and Cathy basically showed me, Brenda and Chelsey how to handle the weapons and what to aim at. In the picture below, Brenda is actually falling a bit backwards from the "kick" of the shotgun. I started out trying to shoot right-handed, but as I found out in the military, I can't close my left eye to look out my right eye when shooting, so I had to swap to left-handed.
I wasn't too good at it to begin with, but after a few practice rounds I ended up hitting a total of 7 clays....5 in a row! Cathy acted like she had been practicing daily for the past month...hit every clay but one all afternoon. If you click on the 2nd picture here, you can see her clay shatter in the air. Conversely, if you click on the 3rd picture, you will see the full clay flying thru the air that I missed.
Robert mostly acted as the clay puller for us, loading the machine with one or two clays depending on how we were shooting. But he did take a few shots himself, and needles to say he was pretty good. When Cathy and I shot together we both hit our clays, and when Robert and Cathy shot together they both hit also. The same cannot be said for Chelsey and Brenda...haha!
Only after seeing the pictures did we realize that Chelsey needs to work on her shooting posture...that elbow is a little high!
And although you can't tell it from the picture, this is the 2nd time that Brenda fell backwards a bit from the kick of the shotgun. The barrell of that shotgun started out about shoulder high before she shot here! haha
I think Cathy has been watching too many cop shows...look at the stance on her!!! Shooting the pistols was cool, too. All of us, except Chelsey, actually shot holes in the cans that Robert had placed on the ground. Chelsey came real close, but no cigar! That is my actual hole in the can!
Time to go home...everyone say goodbye!
Had a great day, so I took Robert's shotgun home with me and he doesn't know it! haha

5 comments:

  1. Paula, what is that look on your face in the 4th picture?????
    Looks like you had a good time.

    Michael wants to know why you don't have any pictures of our family on the blog???
    Just because we don't have guns, we are still fun. Remember "Mandatory Fun" day???

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it is the one I think you are talking about, Cathy is taking off the safety and the shotgun is getting quite heavy..haha

    And what do you mean there are none of you on the blog...I think my whole 1st entry is about all my time in Maine and Massachussetts, and I even have pictures of the Mandatory Fun day playing halfball, etc. That just tels me he didn't read my blog back in October when I first posted my longet entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen, I just checked it out...tell Michael to go back to October, and then scroll down to 13 October to be exact...It is titled "Where Have I Been for 7 Weeks?"...I take you all the way from 22 August when we arrived in Mass., up to Maine, down to Mass. again, and then us leaving on 11 October. I have Brian's get-together and everything else on there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about a true red neck thanksgiving all you need is beer and bubba teeth!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah Hallie's just sad because she could't be here with us. I remember how she enjoyed my cooking when she was here before. mom

    ReplyDelete