19 December 2009

Animal Kingdom

19 Dec 09--The day started with 2 big birds right outside our RV. I don't know what the name of them are, but they almost sound like a turkey...very loud. They were really tall, probably up to my ribs if I was to stand beside them. Look at Fluffy, she wants to go after them but Cathy has her leash on.


Getting a little cooler out. Today a high of maybe 65, so it was a little chilly. Went to Animal Kingdom and saw the biggest crowds yet, probably due to kids being out of school for the holidays and the fact that it is the weekend. I could really do without the crowds.


The first thing we did was to go on a safari, which would have been really good had the driver slowed down long enough for us to get good pictures of the animals we saw. This giraffe crossed right in front of us, but once it passed the driver took off and we ended up with this picture.


We got a couple decent pictures, but not as many as we could have if they weren't so concerned with getting us through the park so fast.




Has anyone seen Meerkat Manor on TV, I think the Animal Planet station? This is one of them here looking out for the others. They are so cute, and that was a pretty good show.


I loved the gorillas! They look you right in the eye as they are sitting there or walking along...so human!!! And so strong. You can see their muscles rippling as they move.




Is there anyone who doesn't love a tiger?



We didn't get to go on many rides today. The lines were so long that we passed on most of them, even what I thought was probably the best one, the roller coaster at the Himalayas. The wait was listed at 75 minutes, and even though Cathy and I absolutely love roller coasters, 75 minutes is just ridiculous!


The one really good ride we got on was the dinosaur ride. It was fun watching the kids recoil from the dinosaurs jumping out at them.

A cute show we went to was this one about a bug's life. It was in 3D, and it is amazing how you can actually feel like this cartoon character is coming right at your face. I had some teenage boys to my left and they were really funny...not at all concerned about being wimps...squeeling like little girls!


This is the Tree of Life...really huge, and look at the carvings they have in it. You can see an owl, rhino and monkey in this shot. It is really nice.


Here I am, again, encouraging the locals to have a good time. Everyone is dancing to my beat!


Look at colors in this duck...it is beautiful, or what?


Cathy feels the parking fees are adding up, so she insisted I go to work for a a couple days...I know I need the exercise, but this bicycle is exhausting!


Something I have been meaning to mention is that I have noticed the Disney characters are not walking around the parks as I remember them from 30 years ago. I figure there are too many people today, so they have to hold up in one spot so people can get in line to get pictures or even autographs.

Another day is over...getting closer to leaving and getting back to Tallahassee for Christmas.

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved Animal Kingdom. One of my favorites. The tree is amazing! You both look great in the glasses!!!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My overall feeling is that although my favorite amusement park ride is and always will be the roller coaster, the 2 places here I wish I had more time in were Epcot and Animal Kingdom, and if I could pick only one of them, it would be Animal Kingdom. I could sit and watch the gorillas and the tigers all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the tree of life is amazing. yes ya'll are coming back to some beautiful weather. cold and thunderstroms for christmas eve and christmas day. oh well. thats florida weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many hours is Cathy making you work. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. u need to bring wayne to get all the fast passes
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wouldve rathered been fast on the safari than getting stuck under the lions while there were animals on the path

    ReplyDelete