18 August 2010

All Good Things...

18 Aug 2010--Yesterday, Marie's last full day with us, we drove downtown to see what was, and is again, the Governor's Mansion. It was built and owned/lived in by Thomas Kearns, a silver mine magnet. Kearns only had a 4th grade education, but became a millionaire after finding silver in a mine he was leasing. After he died, his wife donated the mansion to the state to be used by future governors.


It was really a beautiful house, but we weren't supposed to take pictures inside. Plus, because the current governor uses the upstairs to live in, we were only allowed to view the bottom floor, so we went thru it pretty quickly. The most interesting feature in the house, which I asked the tour guide specifically if I could take a picture of, was this radiator. In all the old houses we have been to we haven't seen this...notice that a food warmer is built into the radiator...how cool is that?!
They had a few really nice chandeliers also, but I had to take this picture from outside the house.


Seeing as we were in and out of the Mansion pretty quickly, we went over to the Capitol building to show Marie just how elaborate it was. When we got there she insisted on taking the podium again...can't seem to get that public attention bug out of her system! haha



This is the view again from the steps of the Capitol...Marie loves the steeples and mountains, so I threw this up here for her viewing pleasure when she gets home.


One last picture before we headed to the airport today. Is Marie shrinking or am I getting taller? I would have sworn she was taller than me when she got here a week ago!
It was great to have you here with us, Marie! Thanks for coming!

8 comments:

  1. Hey Paula,
    Are you trying to turn my mother into the next "George W Bush"???

    You guys are such goofs!

    I loved the warming oven...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've become very photogenic!!!!!!
    I do love the steeples. They are so pretty.

    Thank you ladies for a truly WONDERFUL vacation.

    Lots of love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the warming oven was cool too, Kristine! Haven't seen one like that anywhere.

    I just sent Marie an e-mail saying she got out in the nick of time...rain all day today!!! Glad the weather was good while she was here...we had a great time, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow Paula, no mention of my 'george W bush"???

    I might actually cook if we had one of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha Kristine...I actually for got that when I got caught up in something else...Marie is too agreeable to even be mentioned in the same breath as "the dark one"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe Marie should consider running against Mayor Menino. You never know. She really likes the "Nixon" V sign and/or peace sign whatever it is! Great invention with the radiator. I wonder if any kids ever ended up in the warming oven.
    The steeple and mountain picture is beautiful..again it would be awesome with a rainbow in it. Paula, cut and paste...I know you can do it.
    Paula, I appreciate your inviting me to continue to be a blogger. I am very content sightseeing the USA from my laptop.
    I am looking forward to going out with Marie to hear the real stories that you could not publish on the blog.
    Enjoy!
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arlene, you are sick!! Kids in the oven???!!! And, unfortunately, we are all too old to have stories "not publishable" on the blog...those were the days! haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I differently think Marie could beat Menino for
    mayor.
    I like the little warmer thingy too.

    And Paula you are never to old for "stories"

    ReplyDelete