16 August 2010

Up, Up and Away!

17 Aug 2010--Yesterday was the highlight of Marie's stay with us. You just can't top a hot air balloon ride!



Here you can see Marie and Cathy waiting patiently while the balloon fills and pulls the basket into the upright position.



There is a huge flame blowing into the balloon, so you have to wonder how they don't burn a lot of them. Notice how gracefully we get into the basket...once again, age is playing a role here! haha



Surprisingly, the balloon company people didn't take their own pics and videos to sell to us, but at least before we took off a couple of the worker bees took our cameras and took pics for us. The 2nd pic is just as we are getting off the ground. We were actually off the ground before we even knew it. It is a much smoother ride than I expected.

This is a great view as we get really high in the air...2500 ft he told us, and because of the altitude of the city, 9,000-10,000 ft above sea level. We are flying over the town of Heber, UT and looking out at the Wasatch Mountain Range.

This is a wheat or alfalfa field below us as we look down. It looks like a series of big circles because of the irrigation system used to water the fields.



The balloon you see in the pics and this video is what I refer to as our "sister" balloon. It took off right after us, and we could often tell just how high or low we were in relation to where it was flying. The whooshing sound you hear sometimes in the background is the propane/flame the pilot is applying to lift us higher. The last pic in this series is a stitch pic.


You can get an idea of how fast these balloons rise and fall by watching our sister balloon as it attempts to land. What is surprising is that when you are in the basket you can barely feel it.


As we were coming down we heard a lot of barking, looked down and saw these 4 massive dogs in some one's backyard. They almost looked like bears from our vantage point.
The balloonists never really know exactly where they are going to land, so we ended up in a neighborhood subdivision...we were just happy not to be on some one's roof. Our pilot was actually the owner of the balloon business, and something about him just told you he was probably a jerk to work for. Here his worker bees are trying to chase us down and to grab a rope to hold us...they almost got us when the pilot said "never mind, meet us over there another 100 ft"!
Because the pilot changed his mind about the landing spot, he had to fire up the balloon again to lift us up a bit, and because of that he actually burned a hole in the side of his balloon...worker bees probably felt it served him right. (haha) You can see the hole in the balloon in the shadow of it in the video.


Here we are safely on the ground. Look at the older woman in the 1st pic, a fellow passenger of ours, dragging the basket while Marie and I are posing for pictures (haha).

Here are 2 videos, one each of Marie and I getting out of the balloon basket...age, oh age!!!!

Here is the pilot presenting us with our certificates...in the upper right hand corner of the diplomas is the "Balloonist's Prayer".
On our drive home we stopped at the Olympic Park to see if anyone was practicing, and we saw these kids practicing their hot-dogging ski skills. The people here attend "camps" where the kids learn to ski jump and do tricks but fall into the pool to break their fall. It is really fun to watch.
This 1st video is of a kid in about the intermediate level of ability, while the 2nd is a kid about 7-8 yrs old just beginning. The 3rd video is obviously of an accomplished skier.

And finally, after getting back to the base we stopped at the Hill Aerospace Museum so Marie could get some pictures of airplanes to show Jack. These planes were all outside the museum. Marie is standing here below the engine of an old transport aircraft, at the nose of a small bi-plane, and then below a helicopter. We took these pics so that Jack could hopefully realize just how big that 1st plane is. Marie is obviously dwarfed by it.


Most military aircraft have something painted on the nose of the plane, especially fighters. In the old days of WWII it was usually a barely-clad woman, this Indian Chief was during Vietnam, and today it would be of something more politically correct.

Inside the museum were a bunch of planes/helicopters/missiles, etc, most of which no one is interested in, but we did come upon a section with a podium for ceremonies. I prevailed upon Marie to make a speech, so make sure your volume is turned up.
There is also a big section for kids to play in and use static displays to get an idea of what pilots do. They have little uniforms that the kids can dress up in, too, but I couldn't get Marie to go that far!!! Does she look like a simpleton here, or what?! haha

As opposed to Cathy who looks totally series playing "Top Gun".


This is a young Air Force Airmen who was kind enough to take a picture with Marie. He is a cop, and we thought Jack would like to see him in uniform with his gun strapped to his leg.


And as Marie is leaving here tomorrow, and Cathy and I are headed south on Monday, we allowed Marie the honors of placing "UTAH" on our tracking map. We keep this map and place each state in it's place as we travel the country...we are already up to 12 states!!! (Marie pointed out that there are only states on the map, but that is because just before she placed Utah, Maine fell off!)

14 comments:

  1. YAY, First!

    I was bored so I thought I would see if you posted your day yet.
    After looking at your pics, I think MAYBE I could go up in one of those. Possibly with a parachute on my back.(do they have any?) :)
    Looks like an amazing trip/flight. Hope Marie had a great time visiting you guys and has a safe trip back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I with Barb, I think I could do it to.
    But I think Marie look a little nervous on the video where you told her and Cathy to turn around.
    I would if those worker bees still have their job. Missing the ropes and a hole??????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hit the button to soon!
    By any chance do they have a step ladder to get in and out?????

    These were worth the wait!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ye of little faith...I told you it was going to be FANTASTIC! I'm happy you made it safely to the ground and didn't end up caught in trees which is known to happen. Marie, I liked your "Nixon" peace sign at the end of your speech. Maybe you should call home and tell Wayne that you are going to continue the journey with Paula and Cathy. After the RV trip is complete you may want to consider going "around the world in a hot air balloon".
    Paula, I hope you don't mind but I looked at some of your previous blog adventures. I do have to admit the "escalator incident" was quite funny. I was feeling bad that I was laughing at your expense and you could have been seriously hurt. But then I did remember in your younger days of you laughing many times at another person's clumsiness. What goes around comes around! Looks like you are having a GREAT time. I can't wait until I am your age to retire and live my dream, whatever that may be.
    Be safe and many more happy memories!
    Send Marie home, I need someone to go out to dinner with!
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arlene, I am happy to share my blog, so have at it! And my "escalator incident", as you called it, was one of the most frightening, yet funny, experiences of my life! So I am glad you could emjoy it as much as I enjoyed sharing it. haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again, great pictures. I'm going to say I'd go up in the balloon, BUT don't know if it was in front of me. Looks like you two showed Marie a great time. Where are you going now??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy and I are off to Moab, UT on Monday to see both Arches and Canyonlands National Parks in the eastern part of the state, and then off to southwestern Utah to see Zion and Bryce National Parks. I anticipate some outstanding pics over the next few weeks.

    I am surprised that no one mentioned Marie's speech at the Aerospace Museum. We had some great laughs making it...did anyone actually watch the video???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched the video and commented up above that I liked her "Nixon" peace sign at the end.
    I loved the ski jumpers...I could watch them for quite awhile.
    Paula, thank you, I thoroughly enjoyed the blog for Marie's vacation...good work!
    Travel safely and have FUN!
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arlene, just because Marie left today doesn't mean you have to stop reading the blog. haha Feel free to give us a peek now and then if you have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and I forgot that you actually commented on the speech, Arlene. I think you are the only one who watched it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Paula,

    Loved the pictures of the balloon flight.....I don't think I would have the nerve to actually do it.
    I did take a ride in a tethered balloon ride in DisneyWorld....it only went up 300 feet....not exactly the same thing but it was fun.
    By the way Paula, just because everybody doesn't comment on everything you do doesn't mean we are not reading.
    Keep up the good work blogging. As always I'm living my life vicariously thru you!!!!!!

    Fifi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fifi, I am not expecting everyone to comment on everything (haha), I am just surprised at some of the things that are not commented on. Watching Marie and how uncomfortable she was making that short speech was hysterical when we were doing it, (I actually had her do it twice to make sure it could be heard for the blog), so I was especially surprised that her kids didn't say anything about it. Know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paula - we are too embarrassed to admit that she is our mother and that she did that in public!

    oh the things anyone can get my 'simple' mother to do is frightening

    ReplyDelete
  14. She actually did it twice Kristine!

    ReplyDelete