01 September 2010

Bryce Canyon National Park

2 Sep 2010--Had a great day yesterday at Bryce Canyon. Spent all day there, and going back today to do some hiking down in the canyons.

We were pleasantly surprised to see some Pronghorn on the ride to the park. These guys were part of a herd of about 20 on the other side of the road...they made us nervous watching them getting ready to cross the road with all the traffic.



Marie, we passed the Bryce Airport just outside the park. This is the airport you would have flown into had you joined us here instead of Salt Lake City. I could see a small plane out there, but try as I might I never saw the runway!? I guess they just bump along in the open field! haha



Bryce Canyon is a 55 square mile park, which makes it about 1/2 the size of Arches and only about 10% the size of Canyonlands. It doesn't seem that small though when you are in there...it dwarfs Cedar Breaks in size (where we were the day before).

This talks about "hoodoos", the spires formed over time that make some of these parks so interesting to look at. Just a little fun fact: In South Carolina they have a saying, "someone's hoodooing you", that means lying to you, or fooling you. A guy who worked for me in the military used to use it all the time, so I was surprised to see that it was a real word at all.


All the observation points in Bryce are off the main road, which runs 18 miles up the mountainside, at an elevation of 8000 to over 9100 ft above sea level. We started at the top and drove back down to the bottom, as the park officials suggested. It is actually near the bottom, the last 4 observation points, or so, that the best views are at though. Just because I loaded them this way, I will list them according to their names.
Rainbow Point


Ponderosa Point


Agua Canyon


Farview Point and then Piracy Point, which you walk to from Farview. It is really just another angle.


Swamp Canyon


Bryce Point. This, and below, is the area we will be hiking in. Can't wait to see it from below.

These stitch pics are of the Amphitheater and Grotto sections at Bryce Point.
And the Amphitheater again. This is the section you would be likely to see on postcards and brochures about the park.

Paria View



Inspiration Point

Sunset Point

This is called Natural Bridge, actually an arch.

We didn't get to see the last 2 observation points...we were in the park about 5 hours, but didn't have any time to go down into the canyons to explore at eye level either. So that is what the plan is for today. It is quite a way down to the floor of the canyon, and at an altitude that can really wind you, so I don't look forward to hiking back up to road level. Wish me luck!!! haha

4 comments:

  1. Breathtaking!!!! This is what I wanted to see but I doubt I could have down the plane ride or the climbing so it probably was for the best.
    Breathtaking!!! Bryce point pics - Awesome!!! You and Cathy look like you've been added to the photos. They are amazing. I want to be with you.
    Really love seeing the Prohorns also. Why are we sooo excited to see animals in the wild???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, because we are in these cities where the only animal life is dogs and cats. When I was in NY, I would watch the woodchuck in my back yard whenever he was out chomping.
    The pic on the right of swamp canyon looks like a castle.
    Agua canyon pic on left looks like an army standing behind Paula.
    Those spires or whatever, are in lines like they are guarding something. Very cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am almost as mesmerized by the wildlife as I am the canyon scenes. I just love them! And wait till you see the pics from our hiking in the valley!!! Incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Marie, now that I think of it, I think you would have had a heart attack flying into that "airport"! And you could have seen what Cathy and I saw this day, but day 2 hiking would have been out of the question, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete