03 September 2010

Medic! Medic!

4 Sep 2010--Went on what we thought was going to be a moderate hike yesterday, a hike that turned out to be exhausting. They rate the hikes on signs at each trailhead, and the one we went on the day before was rated "Moderate", but somehow I missed the fact that the one we were about to embark on was rated "Strenuous". Their definition of Strenuous is "steep grades with MULTIPLE elevation changes". They put MULTIPLE in caps, not me.

And they weren't exaggerating! We didn't do the whole 5.5 miles they had mapped out...I wouldn't be talking to you today if we had! haha We cut it short to 3.7 miles, going on to another trail for the ascent back to the top. Nonetheless, the descent into the valley was a drop of 1555 ft in elevation over the course of a mile, which took us about 35 minutes to complete and confirmed in our minds that whatever happened, we were absolutely NOT going to return to the top by way of this road...we were tired just going down it! haha

Here are a couple stitch pics as we start the descent to the valley below.



Off we go, and look at what we see!





The 1st "named" spot we hit was called the "Wall of Windows" section. The colors are beautiful.


I am looking at most of these of pictures as I am typing and it seems like they are all from the top...I can assure you we were deep in this valley for at least 2 hours...so I look "fresh" in these, but by the end I certainly wasn't.


At the point I took this video we were about 1/2 way thru the hike, and I am already faltering...haha. What I should explain here is that because this is a "Strenuous" hike, with MULTIPLE elevation changes, we are continuously going up and down hills even though we are on the "floor" of the valley. The hike the previous day was pretty much level once you got to the bottom, but not here.
This might help explain the experience at the bottom: while we descended 1555 ft, when we got to the end of the hike we "only" had to ascend 580 ft to the top. So along the way on the floor of the canyon, we were climbing up, up and down, up, up and down...for a gain of about 1000 ft! And remember that we are about 8000 ft above see level to begin with, so the air is thinner than I would like. haha
Here are some beautiful "hoodoos" we saw along the way.
And another "Named" area, this one called "The Cathedral" area, one of the most spectacular in the park. Incredibly beautiful!


Remember the other day I said that if you look long enough you can see almost anything in the rocks? Is that E.T. on top of the rock Cathy is leaning on, or am I beginning to hallucinate?


Here we have cut off the initial trail to "short cut" our way out of here...I can barely breath and my thighs are screaming!!! I am strongly considering a medivac situation.



We finally reach the ascent area...only 580 ft (straight up!) left to go. Don't I look lonely here?

These switchbacks are brutal, much worse than the switchbacks at the Wall St area the day before. Much longer, and much, much steeper.

Cathy is ahead of me the whole way, enjoying my misery!


And at the top again...I am using the zoom lens because I have not caught up yet. haha


The final stitch pics from Bryce...

And the final video...it looks like I am going to live, so this was definately worth it!!!

8 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you Paula. I'm sure Cathy was smiling all the way down and back up saying "I told you Paula to work out more" No one rocked you to sleep that night! Those pic's were breath taking. I got some good shots there also. They definitely would have Medic vac me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol...you hit it on the head...Cathy was revelling in my misery! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every one of those videos, Paula, you sound more and more distressed...the second one where you say 'oh my god' I started laughing and the next couple I laughed even harder. Sounded more like you were being tortured.:D
    I thought that one looked like a dinosaurs head before I read the ET thing. What a great place, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was distressed! haha I wasn't faking it! There really seemed to be no end to it! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful, this should realllyy make for strong legs and either a great heart or a weak one. Cathy you are beginning to look a little like an Indian in those pic. really dark. love ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paula good thing God gave you those "healthy" legs.
    Why do you have to stand so close to the edge when taking pictures. I find myself getting nervous just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pics are breathtaking....and I know Cathy loved making fun of your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are careful at the edges of the mountains/cliffs...and Cathy absolutely relishes my pain!!! haha

    ReplyDelete