26 May 2010

Durango, Co

26 May 2010-Took a drive to Durango, Co today, about 35 miles from where we are. It is a cute little town, with a river running right thru it, and I mean running! I took this short video to show Donna and Hallie because they like this stuff.



Here is the Colorado flag, along with the license plate. I think both are sort of boring.



Both these little ones were outside my front door this morning.


So downtown we went to Durango. Stopped at the visitor's center, which is in a park right along that river I showed you in the video. There is actually a 5-mile walking/biking trail that goes along the river, and there are some historical info markers along the way.



This is information on the Ute Indians that used to dominate the area. Notice the 3 pictures that show the ever-diminishing area of land they occupied in the 4 states that constitute their original homeland.




There is a lot of rafting, biking, horseback riding, etc. in this area. They even have an all-day train ride you can take up into the most scenic parts of the area, but it takes about 8 hours, so we can't do that with Fluffy. This river is really moving quite quickly, and walking along the trail is quite pretty.



The town's reason for being is definately to cater to the tourists, but it is pretty nonetheless.


They had a little Train Museum, so we checked it out.



The mornings here start out fairly cool, around 60 when we are leaving at say 10 in the morning, but it warms up a bit as the day goes by...at about the mid-70s, so it makes for a very nice day. But let me tell you, it is the driest weather we have ever been in. I should include New Mexico in that statement also...my nose and mouth have never been so dry! Even our air conditioners are not leaking water outside like they usually do....bone dry!!!

8 comments:

  1. Do you remember our ride down the rapids???
    Has anyone see the mama bear????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did watch the video on the National Park day.
    I think we could make a commerical out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What mama bear are you talking about? And Yes, I do remember our trip...especially that idiot that kept thinking I was your husband!!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blue bird is gorgoeus. I also love the brick bldg. I can't open the video in school.
    Husband??? I never heard that story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forget about the husband part. But the mama bear is when we got out of the raft and they said there were fresh bear tracks and some of them were baby bears and we needed to move because mama bear would not like people being so close to her cubs. That is when you trampled the people getting off the raft so you could get back on. I can clearly see the memory in my mind and I am laughing just as hard today as back then. You are such a chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be that we had different emotional experiences on that raft, because all I remember about it is the idiot calling me Sir, while I have no memory at all about the bear story. I did laugh very hard at your telling of that story though. And as I recall from somewhere else on that trip, it was YOU who was afraid of going into the woods because you had just read some book about bear attacks..NO???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to ride the rapids, I can see myself in the water as I watch the video.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Operative words are "in the water", when you are supposed to be in the raft--haha!

    ReplyDelete