28 May 2010

So, You Want to be a Cowboy!

28 May 2010-We had no sightseeing plans today, just hanging out cleaning the RV and taking the car to the car wash. Well, lo and behold, as we are leaving the RV Park, we see a bunch of cows and cowboys/cowgirls on the road we need to turn on to get out of the park. We are about to witness a real, live Cattle Drive!!!!



I took some pictures and videos...here is one where at the end there is a cow looking right at me...I wasn't 10 feet away from her. (Turn up your volume to hear the sounds)



This is the road right outside the park. The cattle and cowpokes are resting, eating lunch, or just laying around on the grass off the side of the street.




This man and woman told us that they were moving the cattle to their summer pasture. They are moving 700 cattle here, and she told me it would take them 5 days to get where they were going. This woman was easily older than me...I would say in her early 60s probably.






The cowboy said that because their is so much private property nowadays, they had no choice but to take the cattle right onto the streets/highways. Here they are pushing them right out on the shoulder of the highway as Cathy and I are driving by.



Enlarge these 2 pictures and look at the dogs...we saw 3 of them and the poor things were filthy. They looked like they were having fun working the cattle, but in all that dirt and dust they really need a bath.

Here are 2 more videos. I really think this has been one of the best things we have seen since being out on the road. It was like out of the Old West...I loved it!!!


8 comments:

  1. Really cool, I agree this is the best ever except for the Kayak in the white water. It was like watching Gunsmoke

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...we went back to the RV to get the camera to make sure we didn't miss being able to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it's normal for them, but I feel sorry for the cows and the dogs. Can you imagine having to walk all day long and not being able to lay down till nite? (like being a TI in week 1)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW THATS COOL. THEY REALLY EVEN HAVE A DOG.
    KALE

    ReplyDelete
  5. We saw 3 dogs, Kaleigh, and they were working the cattle hard, making them stay together...it was, indeed, cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paula and Cathy,
    This was awesome! Well with the wait. I wish I was born somewhere else, maybe I would have been a cowgirl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know about being a cowgirl, Ellen...that lady looked old, AND dusty!!!

    ReplyDelete