16 June 2010

Devil's Backbone

16 Jun 2010--After getting home and posting my blog for the day, around 8:15 PM Cathy and I decided to take a drive up the road to see what we might see at a trail head we have passed several times over the past few days.

Knowing that wildlife comes out the most in the early morning or just before dusk, we were keeping our fingers crossed...or at least I was. We went about 2 miles up the road from the RV park, to the Devil's Backbone open space area. There are a lot of these open spaces in Colorado, I guess just for hiking and wildlife viewing. I didn't have my camera on night shooting, so these 2 pictures look different than the upcoming ones.



There was a gate at the trail head that said the gate automatically closed at dusk, so we didn't go in. I was a little disappointed, but what are you gonna do. As we drove back down the road I saw these flowers...like ones we used to blow wishes with as kids...but these were on steroids! Look how big the are.



And then, lo and behold, as I turned to get back in the car, I saw this baby bunny.



And then, lo and behold, I look up and about 100 yards ahead of me, back by the trail, is a male elk, actually 2 of them. We watched them cross the road over to a hill to our right.




After taking a few pictures I got back in the car and we decided to drive down the road in the other direction from our RV park...probably another 2 miles from there. And then we saw all these elk...it is almost 9 PM at this point and getting a little dark, so we were glad to see these elk at the close of the day!

1 comment:

  1. Really cool, go out more at night and get more animal pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete