25 June 2010

The Badlands

26 Jun 2010--Yesterday we went to The Badlands of South Dakota, and they are truly incredible. Before we got there, though, we stopped to see these prairie dogs. They were actually at two different places, the 1st a spot where you could feed them, and then the 2nd a spot that was actually a homestead viewing area that had what looked like albino prairie dogs. The lady told us that in 1966 someone found a white prairie dog, and the owner of this homestead place bought it, bred it selectively, and now they all turn out like this. The babies are still born a tannish color, but as they mature they turn white, except the tail. They are not albinos.

I do not have the verbal skills to describe how beautiful The Badlands truly are. I took lots of pictures, stitch photos and videos in the hopes that you can see what we saw, so this is my humble attempt to do that. I am not sure my quest will be successful, but I hope so...so here goes.

This picture and verbiage explains briefly how this area got to be this way, and shows on the map what the surroundings of South Dakota used to look like.


The drive thru the park's main road is a little more than 30 miles, and what is most surprising is that you can see none of this from the highway that runs alongside it...only The Wall.


There are lots of trails off the main road, anywhere from 1/4 mile to 10 miles round trip. We had Fluffy with us, and it was about 100 degrees, so we stayed on the ramps. That is a herd of buffalo down on the prairie.


More info for those who like to read the stuff. There is also information on the Massacre at Wounded Knee, which happened about 65 miles south of here, but we will post those pictures on Facebook. The Indians went thru here to get to Wounded Knee.


These formations look like sand castles, but they are hard so you can climb them.



Driving along, enjoying the view.


This is Max, a 22 year old college student from North Carolina who is riding across the country, by himself, during summer break from school. He started out May 16 and is already up here. Going to California and then back to North Carolina in the fall. He camps out at night wherever he is. I was totally impressed by him...what a way to see the country, and at such a young age!!! What were we all doing at 22???!!! Never mind, I remember now! haha I thought of Thomas as I was talking to Max...Thomas if you are reading this, get out of Wakefield and see the world!


If you blow up the 1st picture you will see this mountain goat, our 1st, on top of the mountain, just sitting there looking back at the tourists.

Here is Fluffy, pretending to like it!

Here are 4 stitch photos. Hopefully when you click on them you will get a better idea of what this place looks like. I have videos at the bottom of the blog that should be helpful also.


Before we left San Antonio, our friends Tamie and Barb both told us about this "Wall Drug Store, in Wall, South Dakota. It is in a town of 818 people, and exists, again, solely for the purpose of tourists. It really isn't a drug store, though...it is a huge building with lots of little shops...even a chapel. I think everyone who goes to The Badlands also stops in Wall.



A canvas bag for sale...I love it!!!

We might as well be on the moon!
1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

I used to be so coordinated, I hardly recognize myself. And Cathy's commentary is the best!!!

me 2

me 3

me 4

me 5

me 6...and enough!

5 comments:

  1. This was great!
    At twenty-two, I was backpacking across Europe
    so I don't think Michael is so special!haha.
    I love the videos of you, the last one is the the best, baby steps, baby steps!!!!
    Also, why do you whisper when you are doing the videos. I always have to put my ear right
    to the computer? That must be the spy in you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't realize I am whispering, but I don't want to be talking really loud with lots of people around either. Can you turn up your computer?
    I am horrified at how cautious and uncoordinated I have become in my old age...I keep wondering when I became my mother! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. short choppy steps

    ReplyDelete
  4. great commentary!!! cathy i'm not sure what's funnier, Paula trying to climb or your detailing her moves.
    Paula, you did it. That's all that counts. I really can't see mom even trying. I must be more like her.
    I loved the brown bag w/Indians and heads. I'd love to have one to carry. It's totally original.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who said Short, Choppy steps?

    I think Cathy's commentary is what made me laugh, I loved it.

    And I loved the canvas bag with the Indians on it, too. I'd love to meet th eperson who thought of it.

    ReplyDelete