19 June 2010

Does It Get Any Better Than This?

18 Jun 2010--It is hard to believe, but Cathy and I left San Antonio only one month ago today. I already feel like we have seen so much, it seems like a lot longer time frame than that.

And I am not sure it gets any better than this! When you combine "seats of government" and wild animals, I am over the moon! I truly feel privileged to experience this! Cathy says I am a weirdo, but I really love this stuff.

As you are leaving Colorado and going into Wyoming, there is a big buffalo at the top of a hill.



And they are very happy to have you visiting.



This is the state flag, along with the state seal, and then the state license plate. I like all of them!



We are only going to be here till Tuesday morning, and we are staying at F. E. Warren AFB in Cheyenne. This is a nuclear missile base, as was the base in Montana that we were stationed at in the late 80s/early 90s.


This is the sign to the Famcamp...don't know the significance.

We saw pronghorn antelope on the ride from Loveland, CO all the way to the base. We even saw some baby antelope with their mothers...I just haven't been able to get a picture yet. These antelope were on the base, right up from where we are staying.


Once we got set up at the Famcamp, we decided to go take a look at the downtown area of Cheyenne. Of course, the 1st place we went was to the Capitol, which we didn't expect to view, but more to check out what their hours and days of operation were. Instead we got to view the whole thing.


This is a statue of Esther Hobart Morris, a proponent of the legislation that made Wyoming the 1st state government to accord equal rights to women--in 1869!!!! She is right out front, so I say "Touche!" to Wyoming!

Two other statutes outside the building...I think the guy on the horse looks like Ronald Reagan.



As you enter the Capitol building, the first thing that jumps out at you is that there is no security to go through. This is the 1st Capitol that we have been to that that is the case.

This statue of Shoshone Chief Washakie has been on display for the past 10 years in the center of the main hallway, just off from the governor's office. We were told that it would one day be moved to the state history museum.

As you look up from the statue, you can see all the way to the stained glass dome.

Surprisingly, the Legislature meets every year, but on a 2 year rotation they only meet for 40 days one year and then 20 days in the following year when the budget is set. Now I have heard of "small government" before, but isn't this extreme? I can't remember what Florida does...I know it is a part-time Legislature, but now we also have Texas only meeting 120 days every 2 years, and Colorado meeting once a year for 120 days. No wonder all these guys are screaming at Washington, DC!!! I'm not saying they are right, but at least now I know where they are coming form.

This is the Senate, the stained glass ceiling in that room, and some paintings rendering tribute to certain people or events in the room.




The House of Representatives, its ceiling, and some paintings on the wall.



Looking down from the Legislative branch to the 1s floor, where the governor's office is and the Chief statue is.


Wyoming authorizes a Capitol Building in 1886 and becomes the 44th state in 1890.
After touring the Capitol we were hungry, so we rode around the city looking for some place to eat. We just happened upon the Cheyenne Depot Plaza, where every Friday nite they gather for beer and music and seem to turn out a really good crowd.



The depot plaza is in front of the railroad depot that goes back to the 1800s, which is now still a depot, but also a small railroad museum and gift shop.

These painted boots surround the plaza, and have everything from antelopes to the names of all the governors of the state painted on them.
A building across the street.


People listening to the music.


I saw this guy in the crowd and thought he must be part of a show, but when he was leaving I asked him what he was up to, and he insisted he was just a regular guy...no show going on here. Seeing as he had a rifle and even a pistol on his hip, I just thanked him for letting me take his picture, and pressed on. haha


This is the depot, which also has a restaurant that we ate at...lots of motorcycle people here.


Headed back to the base, where we again saw antelope on the grounds. These are wild animals, but seem to know it is not hunting season.


God is good!

11 comments:

  1. Ok you got me! What's up with the name of the famcamp?? Also, "people listening to music"
    do you think that only happens in Wyoming?
    If this is all they have, no wonder you are out of there by Tuesday.haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy just told me this morning that the name of the RV Park goes back to the name of the base before it was changed to F E Warren.

    And Ellen, you're killing me! I am feeling privileged to see the beautiful capitol buildings that I am getting to see, to read some of the history of these states that I am getting to read, to see the beautiful animals in their natural surroundings...and when was the last time you saw someone walking around with both a pistol and a rifle!? It really wasn't about a band.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the boots. I was trying to get some perspective on how tall they are - maybe 10 feet?
    I think the cowboy statue looks more like Abe Lincoln. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The boots were cool, and I would say at least 10 ft...probably taller.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The boots are great very pretty. Can you feed the wild animals or not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wyoming seems like the place you should have been brought up in. Women didn't seem to have any restrictions. I can see you as an Annie Oakley!!!
    I love the babies!!! No matter what species babies always catch peoples interest.
    The stained glass ceilings were amazing.
    Do you remember all the info you take in each day??? I enjoy reading it but only a very small amount, if any, stays with me. I have never been able to retain info. but I do enjoy it along with the pics. thanks to you both. How you hanging in there Cathy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a very bad short-term memory, and especially with everything we are seeing, it can all get jumbled together quickly. We have only been on the road a month, but it seems like 3 months already...I mean that in a good way...just seeing so much. I will rely on the blog 10-20 years from now, if I live that long, to remind me what I saw (haha). Cathy, on th eother hand, will probably remember it all...very good short and long-term memory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. make sure ya'll get a pair of boots for the winter. yes you are very lucky to be able to see and visit all these wonderful places. Just be careful and don't get hurt. love ya mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paula,

    I have commented to your blog @ least 4 times are you getting them and deleting HAHA or is it just me again!! I hope you get this because I want you to know I really do enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patti, I was born at night, but NOT last night!!! I have seen 2 recently...and then this one saying 4 times...I keep looking for kitchens for you though, fihguring they might prompt a response! haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I see you got this one! I don't think we should fight in public HAHA. I want you to know that I do read this everyday & enjoy it, even if I'm at work, just because you forget what that is, and can't always respond HAHA

    As always, love you, Patti

    ReplyDelete