12 June 2010

Garden of the Gods!

12 Jun 2010--This bird was outside our RV yesterday morning...pretty, huh?



So yesterday we went to a state park known as The Garden of the Gods. This park started as a 480 acre park that was a gift to the city, (read below), and is now a total of 1367 acres with biking, hiking, and horseback riding trails that is really beautiful. We actually went here over 2 days...on the way back from Pikes Peak we stopped to see if we wanted to spend more time here, and then yesterday "we spent more time here". haha



This writing tells how the park got its name, along with how Colorado Springs was named. (Colorado means red in Spanish, but I don't remember that from my high school classes.)



This is the entrance to the park...really just wide enough to get a car through.

And info on the the Amazing Balanced Rock.


This tells us how the Balanced Rock used to be privately owned and how the guy made money on it.



You can walk, bike, hike, horseback ride, take a bus, and even "Segway" thru the park. There are paved and dirt trails throughout. The weather kept changing while we were there, but fortunately there was more sun than rain.


A lot of the rocks have names, and this one on the left is called "3 Graces"...they say it looks like 3 praying hands.



There was a guy giving a guided tour, that I eavesdropped on, who told his group how these rock formations came about. He said that at the same time that Pikes Peak was forming, the same forces came that led to the mountains came into play here. Basically it amounts to this. These rocks were formally horizontal plates laying on the ground, and as earthquakes and the like pushed the ground up forming mountains, these plates rose to a vertical position, forming what we now see in the Garden.


If you enlarge these pictures you can see people climbing these rocks.

In the 1st picture on the left you can see 2 guys, one upper left and the other lower right. And in the 2nd picture you can see the guy is actually hanging from the face of the rock, with his back to the rock! He was pretty high up, too!


Although we didn't have a permit, Cathy and I thought we'd try it! As you can see from the photo, I got a little higher than Cathy!


Here are a group of pictures that I call my "God Pictures"! That's because when I see things like this I know there has to be a God!!! Just too beautiful!!!

8 comments:

  1. See, beautiful surroundings and you didn't have
    to go up 1400ft!
    I differently would have been able to handle this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got caught up with all the pictures, I love the wooden side walks, never have seen that in all my travels.

    I know if I would have been there we would have done the big swing.

    All the pictures are so pretty and the driving ability of Cathy is great. I think that would be the worst is coming down the mountains.

    I have never been to Pikes Peak because is has always been closed because of snow.

    I am so glad you do the videos it gives the true effect of what you all are doing or going thru.

    You talked about the people in the rafts wearing long sleeve shirts and jeans what happens when they get wet and have to sit in those wet cold cloths (not me)

    Sure do miss you guys!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallie, aren't you the one who passed out ont he roller coast ride??? haha You can't imagine how imposing that gorge was when you were hooked up to the ride! We miss you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I don't know why I'm up so late. Awesome scenery.
    In the picture of the valley, those homes kind of blend in - I thought it was a bunch of those rocks until I blew it up (well that, and put on my glasses) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula,
    If you really liked me you would have stole the sign for me!! I would have for you.

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patti, it took me going up a 14,000 foot mountain and hunting down Crowe Gulch to get a response from you, and that's all you had to say!!!??? haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! It really looks wonderful! We are so glad you guys have the chance to do this. Looks like life is really beautiful! Oh, don't be so hard on yourself! At least you tried! Me....sitting on my butt in SA!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha Tamie...working hard, bringing home the bacon!

    ReplyDelete