23 June 2010

Mt Rushmore

23 Jun 2010--Went to Mt Rushmore today. Very nice trip.


You can take several routes to get to Mt Rushmore, but we took the directions our camp host here at the Rv Park gave us. He said this was the more scenic route, so we went with that. It was pretty, but what should have taken 30-40 minutes ended up taking us 2 hours, so I won't take his advice again! haha
You have to go thru a big section of the Black Hill National Forest, or the Paha Sapa as the Sioux called it, to get there.




There are 3 single car tunnels you have to go thru, and when you come out the other side you get your 1st glimpse of the mountain. Enlarge the 2nd picture and you will see the 4 presidents.


This overlook is named after the guy who built all the roads in this area. Again, you can see the presidents behind Cathy.

If it took us 2 hours to get there, how long did it take them?

Doane Robinson was the man who had the original idea to carve famous figures into the mountain, originally hoping to get someone to carve the likes of Buffalo Bill, Lewis and Clark, etc., for tourism purposes. He is the guy who hired the famous sculptor, Gutzon Borglum.

400 regular workers helped Borglum.

This is the scene as you approach the memorial. I did a stitch photo for Barb, she likes them! Click on it for a better view.



As you get closer. Very impressive.



You can take what is called the "Presidential Walk", a trail that takes you up closer to the mountain and focuses on one president at a time. Depending where you stop, you see only one president as you look up, and then there is info on that particular president for you to read. It followed a pattern of seeing the president as you looked up, then having a famous quote from him and then a quote from the sculptor.

Lincoln

Washington


Jefferson, unfortunately partly covered by a tree.


Roosevelt

There was a museum there with lots of info in it, but due to limited space and time...here you go!
Ellen, to see more photos, go to my facebook page.

Cathy is laughing here because I am somewhat scrunched down to get this picture, and then I am groaning at the pain in my knees getting back up. haha

I posed Cathy here to see how she might look as the 5th face on the mountain! Larger than life, huh?!


A couple pictures as we head home.

7 comments:

  1. I don't think they had that big thing across (the stitched photo) when I was there. All I remember is standing on a white concrete outcropping thingy.
    Notice there is space for possibly more heads, say like Reagan, Bush. (Ok, I just threw up a little in my mouth typing that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Barb, I think Cathy look pretty good there!
    Paula, this is to cool! If I had come out would I have been with you to see this???I so envy you at this moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last two pictures were very pretty. I like the picture of the presidents coming out of the tunnel also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Ellen, you would have done the whole week here. You would have started with us back at Royal Gorge and ended up here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of the pictures are wonderful. I can't tell you how glad I am that you are doing your blog! It really feels like we are along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily loved the pic of Cathy as the fifth head. W/O reading the words she looked and said 'cathy looks like the 5th head'. great minds think alike.
    i loved the tunnel that leads to the heads. so cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily is sharp as a tack, just like her great-aunt!!

    ReplyDelete