17 June 2010

I Gotta Get Me Some Hikin' Shoes!

17 Jun 2010--Last day in Colorado today, heading to Wyoming for a few days tomorrow, and then on to South Dakota for a week.

Drove out to Rocky Mountain National Park, supposed to be only 25 miles away, but a bit of a drive due to the roads again. The drive is beautiful, so it doesn't bother us at all...at least it doesn't bother me, I am not driving!



It was a breezy 80 degrees everywhere except up in the mountains. The town we went thru to get to the park was at 7522 ft above sea level, while the point we hiked to was at 9475 ft above sea level, so it was at least 25 degrees colder where we ended up. We talked to a Park Ranger who told us that some people had gone to the top earlier in the day, where they had ice on the ground and 80 MPH winds...you can see these people in the pictures were prepared for the cold. And why weren't we hiking in the mountains as kids? Running the streets of Southie isn't quite the same as this. These kids don't know how lucky they are!



This park is so big you would have to be here a month to hike all the trails...maybe even longer than that. We only hiked one trail, 2.2 miles round trip, to get to Alberta Falls. I saw this sign along the way...check out the Horse Trail sign and then the picture of what it is pointing to. Forget how skinny the trail is, how about all the rocks the horse would be slip-sliding over!!!???

That is Bear Lake Cathy is standing in front of, and a picture of me on the hike.
We are here at the waterfall.
Climbing down the rock. This is where the hiking shoes will come in handy...my sneakers are too slippery.

Here we are coming down the mountain. Cathy is waiting for me, as the majority of it seems to be uphill (doesn't make sense, I know.). Between the altitude and the climb I am really out of breath.

I finally catch up.


The valley before we leave.



Because the park is so big, you have several cities that you ultimately may go thru depending on which direction you are coming from, so from where we are situated we had to go thru a town called Estes Park. This is a very nice tourist town, with lots of shops and a raging river running around it.




This is a picture driving out of town, and then of guys fly fishing in the river along the way back home. I thought maybe I would get a good shot for a "Field and Stream" magazine cover, but these guys were just learning how to fly fish from the guy in red.

One last shot of the Falls.

5 comments:

  1. These pictures/videos were great!
    My favorite is of you Paula trying to
    get off the rocks. You look like an ant being
    cornered. Up down right left. I watched it 3 times and laughed harder each time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had 2 videos of me on that rock that I uploaded, but I deleted one by mistake...you could have had a real knee slapper! haha And that is why I need the hiking shoes...my sneakers are too slippery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I found hilarious is Cathy's commentary on the video of you trying to climb down.
    The part of that town where the river runs through is just like San Antonio's river walk, if SA was 100 times smaller and our river was 100 times faster. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy needs to make more old lady jokes

    ReplyDelete